Friday, October 15, 2010

We made it





***I wrote this a couple days after arriving. It is really boring and not very well articulated but that's reflective of the jet lag and feeling of being completely overwhelmed by our surroundings and all we had to do in a very short amount of time. Pictures take ages to upload if at all, but hopefully those are coming soon.***

We arrived Tuesday morning Belgian time, exhausted beyond belief but relieved to have made it. The kids were troopers the whole flight and wait before and after. Molly survived. We spent the first day here waiting for our ride(s) and checking into the hotel. Napping and ? I really don't remember. Complete sleep deprivation ruled the first few days. Day two was spent on base getting in-processed...getting IDs, signing up here and there, checking in with Brian's work, and well, I don't remember. The kids fell asleep around noon and we would have to wake them up to take them to another appointment. It was finally time to have their pictures taken for ID purposes and we had to prop up Sam and Kate as they were completely out. Hilarious! The next day we checked into the housing office to see what we needed to do to find a house, had another boring finance appointment and lunch at the Pizza Bowl. Wow. It's the lunchtime hangout for the high school kids on base, the international high school kids...and I'll just say teenagers are odd no matter where they are from. I think the drinking age being 16 may attribute to that? Awesome people watching to say the least. We then went and looked at a house that was available, great location, fine house, pretty yard (or garden, we're in Europe). The landlord was a lovely guy who spoke a little English, and made me want to rent the house because he reminded me so much of my dad. It was right on this narrow road that had cars flying by, and across was a cornfield...just a little uncomfortable somehow. Followed that up with a visit to the school and perhaps a trip to the commissary. Is anyone reading this still awake? I am challenging myself to remember what we've done because it is such a blur. Yesterday we had our own car...oh, yes, we had someone carting us around to all those appointments the first few days. With tired kids. So yes, now we have a car, and had our second house showing on Friday morning. More on that to come. Today we drove around the countryside and I'll just say the views are unbelievable. I feel like I've been sucked back in time or on a movie set. Just gorgeous.

***Figured out how to upload pictures, have to use Blogger's old editor. Not as easy, can't put the pictures wherever I want without difficulty but at least they are here!***


1 comment:

julie said...

I am reading this on a very tired morning and I can't imagine getting all that stuff done with such sleep deprivation. Props to you guys!