Friday, October 15, 2010

Twelve days in


We are getting a lot accomplished. We found a house, (and finally rented our Dupont house that same day, weird), the kids started school, we've met some nice people, took a day trip to Brugges (phenomenal!), visited France, (ok, it's two miles from where we'll be living, not a huge trip), had a dinner and a lunch out in local restaurants (the wine...oh the wine. Cheaper than water and delicious), found our PO box, took a run, saw lots of houses before settling on one (well settling, I don't know...it's a chateau for goodness sake's! Not really settling, it's wonderful, more on that later). So...lots more has been accomplished but not worth mentioning.

I have so many beautiful pictures I want to share but there is a glitch somewhere. What magically worked yesterday will not work now. I am going to make one more attempt. This is where I share how much I miss my Mac and my iphone. (I love you apple). Not sure if that has anything to do with the picture malfunction but I miss them anyway. I knew the iphone was an addiction and I jokingly said I'd miss it more than anything, but really figuring the simple way of life was the way to go...but easier said than done! So many times I've gone for it to snap a picture to email it to someone I think would appreciate it but alas, I can't do that. I can take the picture but that's as far as we get. Why not just buy a new one? Well, I believe when I bought my state of the art iphone 3G or whatever it is it was pre-ordered at $199. Here...we are looking at somewhere around $800. Yes, that's right. And if I can track down a genius who is capable of making my phone Euro than I will pay him a right good chunk of that.

How boring, a post about a phone. So many more interesting tid-bits to share about life in Belgium. I need to take time and really take notes and reflect because it is really, really different here. It is incredibly beautiful in a pastoral, lost in time kind of way. The people are so sweet. The French language is everywhere and I am so glad I was such a diligent student of Mme. Tyler's back in the day at PVHS. I was informed by Mr. Ahmat our breakfast host at the lodge that I would be breaking down the parlez-vous in three months. Of course he was speaking French to me so perhaps I misunderstood? "Trois ans?" I asked..."Non, trois mois!!!" Ha! Breakfast is another story here. We are staying at an American airbase in a new hotel, it's really quite nice and provides a continental breakfast. The kids were in hog heaven those first few days. Here is what is offered, every. single. day.....hard-boiled eggs (ok, protein). Sugar cereal only. Bagels. Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. Yogurt. Fruit cup. That's it folks. Every day. I will give them mad props however for their incredible hot beverage machine. The best darn espresso I've ever had available 24/7. The downside to this is that there is also hot chocolate available around the clock. The novelty has not worn off yet and dare I say I haven't even missed Starbucks?

The kids are adjusting pretty well. Sam is having some rough spots, he really misses his friends. Matthew is very logical about it all and Kate is Kate. She can't wait to see the Eiffel Tower and visit castles. They all seem to like school so far and the teacher in me is quite impressed. We were happy with school back home but knew it was lacking in some areas...not here. The school environment is incredible, with kids from over 30 nations in attendance. The campus is made up of "sections"...Italian, German, British, Canadian, Belgian, Norwegian, American...and more. To get to Kate's kindergarten we pass the British pre-school, and there is nothing cuter than a little three year old with a British accent in a uniform. It's going to be quite an experience for the kids and I am so, so happy they have this opportunity.

Tomorrow we sign our lease and make our new home official. More on that once it's done. We are all very excited about this and may need to be pinched!






No comments: